Thursday, February 19, 2009

Where were the engineers and designers?

Where were the engineers and designers when the broiler pans for my new stove was being planned? Were they sleeping, playing solitaire on their computers, or perhaps having one last beer at the local pub? Did they say "Oh! and add some broiler pans."?

I certainly can't imagine them doing any practical thinking. I have a relatively new stove and it does the following wonderful things:

  • It has a wonderful high-tech ceramic cook top that I can clean to sparkling with glass cleaner, or a little dish soup if it's greasy.
  • It has a warmer on the stove top. When I heat water for tea in the morning, I can put the tea kettle on the warmer and it stays warm until my hubbie is out of the shower
  • It has burners that adjust for small pans or big ones
  • It has a good size oven that turns into a convection oven on demand and also cleans itself.
  • It has a warmer drawer below where I can keep things warm or proof bread.
Why then did I have to soak the broiler pans in hot sudsy water for an hour, then scour them for another hour in order to put them back in place almost clean?

Am I being punished for broiling some prime rib for my husband in honor of Valentine's Day? (a few days late) Is there some lack of knowledge here? Who cleans the broiler pans at your house?

I was tempted to clean off most of the grease and put them in the oven while it self-cleans, but the instruction book specifically says not too.

Besides that, I once put a dirty broiler pan in a self-cleaning oven. It had a heat lock on it. The grease in the broiler pan caught fire. There was a lot of smoke. You could see the flames inside.

I turned on the stove fan full bore, but it cycled back into the house making the whole house smoky. The firemen came.

Meanwhile, my hubbie jumped up from the sofa where he was reclining and heroically tried to save me from the error of my ways by trying to open the oven door and put the fire out.

Meanwhile I was screaming that I'd turned the oven off and that it could burn itself out inside the oven. He was too busy saving me, dear man.


The oven door never locked again, nor did the oven itself work properly after that.

So I don't clean my broiler pans in the self-cleaning oven any longer. Do you suppose those designers and engineers could invent one that would survive that? I'd promise to clean most of the grease off first.

Marilynne

3 comments:

  1. I am always saying that they should have me test some things before they go on the market for things like this. Tents and vacuum cleaners would be my specialty, as I haven't found one that I isn't flawless yet. Doesn't that just drive you crazy?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I wish they would let the two of us test things for woman friendliness before they sold them to us.

    I used to provide feedback on such things to the manufacturer. Now days it seems they just don't care that much.

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    Marilynne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy, you are sure right about those darn broiler pans! What a torture chore they are. My husband does dishes a lot, but NEVER touches those broiler pans. He's no fool. I always get stuck with them and I can never get them PERFECTLY CLEAN. Far from it. A couple of times I just went and got new ones. It felt good. I'm ready to go get new ones now. Three times in a life isn't bad. I'll make the old ones into a planter.
    xxx, Annie

    ReplyDelete

I love comments - please?