Wednesday, June 24, 2009

In work - a fairy


This is yesterday's work. It doesn't look like much, does it, but I slaved over it. I'm not good at drawing and so my initial sketches are full of erasures and do-overs.

When I begin to paint, an amazing calm comes to me. I love just watching the paints flow into the water. I like to mix unlikely colors and see what happens. Watercolor allows you to do that.

The photo shows how far I've gotten. This stage is sometimes called the under painting. When the painting is finished, this painting is underneath, giving the colors a glow, a different cast. If you skip the underpainting part, the painting just doesn't have the impact.

So here you see undersea green and a deep orange brown swimming in the water and becoming something I couldn't just paint. I just get to watch - and tweak it a little. On the other hand, the edges of the wings are deliberately made crisp by a violet made of a red and a blue. More red than blue, but I like the effect.

So, maybe I'll paint today and maybe I'll write. Check back to see how the painting is coming.

Marilynne

8 comments:

  1. Oh, it's lovely. I am envious that you are so very talented. I wish I could draw and paint!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lin: Like a lot of things, it takes the will to pick up the brush and begin to paint. I like to paint in a class or workshop because everyone learns from everyone else.

    I'm hoping this painting will improve as I go along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! I too, find a calmness to being creative. It's wonderful to be able to get that kind of peace. I'm new to the world of blogging, if you get the chance or the inclination, check me out at www.thebookwormcafe.com. You're fun to read...I'll definately return.

    Marisa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for visiting. Writing makes me hyped and art relaxes me. Both are creative. I just go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello - I am new to your blog. It's very nice - the painting, the creativity... I look forward to following you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to see this finished! You always make me want to get out the art box...

    Love Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cindy, you know you can do it. Just make a background and draw the fairy over it. Make the background very light and the colors on the fairy strong.

    I'm trying to get back to the fairy. I hate to paint with long periods in-between.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments - please?