Wednesday, March 10, 2010

A local author writes a good book

As a writer, I like to support our local writers, so I attended a book signing at a local library the other day. If I think there's any chance I'll read it, I'll buy a copy of the book. If I enjoy it (there's the catch), I'll blog about it.

Today I'm writing about The Secret at Beckham Manor by Thomas J. Morrow and printed by Morris Publishing. Make no mistake, this is not a cozy mystery.  There is no sweet lady sticking her nose into other people's business.  There's a murder, but we work up to how and why it was committed.  It's not your ordinary book.

We start out with a young reporter, Cindy Krauss, who has turned her inquiring mind into some interesting family history.  She knows her grandfather was once a CIA agent.  When she asks her grandfather to tell her about his days in the CIA he tells her "you know I can't tell you about those days."  This only fuels her curiosity and she researches other parts of her family, finally coming on information about a German-English woman named Greta and a German man named Dieter Zeis.  Cindy visits Greta at Beckham Manor in England.  Greta tells her Dieter's story.

While Greta tells the story, we are thrown into the Cold War that followed World War II.  The victors are cleaning up and taking the spoils in the form of German scientists and other intellects.  The Nazis who survive are trying to escape to South America where they hope to gather converts to Nazism.

I hate war stories, but this one drew me in until I was reading long past my bedtime.  It ended up being a page turner.  For a while, you are drawn into this story and forget to wonder about the secret of Beckham Manor.  The secret isn't revealed until the end.

Tom tells me that this book is a sequel to Nebraska Doppelganger.  Doppelganger is a book about young John Krauss who has a very confusing time during World War II, first being conscripted into the German Army, then being drafted by the US.  I'm intrigued, aren't you?

The story is rough in spots, but original in its story.  I enjoyed it very much and recommend that you can read it - if you can put your hands on a copy.

You can obtain a copy of all three of Tom's books by going to his web site at http://www.oldwarriorbooks.com .

Marilynne

3 comments:

  1. Sounds good! I like when you can meet local writers or artists. I love local art shows where your purchase goes directly to that person and not a third party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was true in this case. I put my money in Tom's hand. He's happy. I'm happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doppelganger is just a word that intrigues me; that it is paired with Nebraska makes it even more interesting! Thanks for all these recommendations.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments - please?