Sunday, March 28, 2010

What a difference a little twist makes

I was doing great for a while.  I went to Curves three times a week.  I was bowling.  I was shopping for as long as I wished.  Then, the other day after I finished bowling I backed into a misplaced chair and twisted my right knee.  I was OK.  I didn't fall, but I'd dinged my left knee pretty well.  The next day I went to Curves and had to quit because my right knee hurt.

It's been down hill from there. One day I'm bowling and building up my strength.  The next day I begin working on my sore leg and it seems to be getting better.  Add a few days and I realize it's not getting better, it's getting worse.

It's really distressing to find you can't do what you did the day before.  I now use an oak hiking stick to get around.  Sometimes, if the day's been tough, I even use a walker we had in the garage.   

I want to go back in time and not trip over the chair.  Aside from that, I just want it to get better, a little better each day.  My doctor's working on it, but not nearly quickly enough to suit me.

My little bears are made from mica-bearing clay.  I bought them at Taos Pueblo in New Mexico last fall.  They make me smile.   I could walk then.


Tuesday, March 30, 2010

They did an MRI today of my sore knee. I'd had one before and it was pretty easy, though it took a lot of time. Today's MRI was scheduled for 45 minutes and took 1 1/2 hours.  During that time my knee was in a sort of mini-MRI sized just for knees.  The time wouldn't have been so bad if my knee hadn't been held in a miserable spot for all of that time. 

The best part of the whole MRI ordeal was that I got to have as many heated blankets on me as I wanted.

The next best thing was my husband took me out to lunch afterwards.

The next, next best thing is that my knee isn't any worse for having it done.  Earlier X-rays had hurt to the point of tears.

So, nothing has happened yet to fix the knee.  Understandably, I'm anxious to get on with fixing it.

Marilynne

2 comments:

  1. My friend and I were just talking about how our bodies are failing us already and how discouraging that is. I hope you will get better soon! Just try to remain positive and do all that the doctor says to do to get back in action again. In the meantime, just hang with your 3 friends who make you smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My three friends who make me smile, usually hang out on the window ledge over my sink. I see them often.

    Thanks for your good wishes. I'm just impatient. I have so much I want to do that requires walking.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments - please?