Friday, May 14, 2010

The Owl House - Part 1

Well, I'm hoping there will be fodder for a Part 2.  For my hubbie's birthday I bought an Owl House Kit.  Made mostly of plywood, the kit is hopefully a home for a barn owl.  It's a case of "If I build it, will an owl come to live here?".

I think it's pretty cool. I ordered it from Mountain Home Biological, who not only sell the Owl House kits, but would love to buy back the owl pellets from us.  (The owl is supposed to kick them out the trap door for us.)   Now isn't that neat?  If you are interested in something like this, they are on the web at http://pelletlab.com/barn_owl_nesting_box

Our 3/4 acre of north county is overrun with rabbits, squirrels, rats, mice, you've got it - all tasty food for a barn owl.

Soon hubbie will place the box high in a tree and then we wait.  I keep thinking, choose us, choose us, choo....

Marilynne

6 comments:

  1. We've dissected owl pellets--it is so cool! I have a little map that tells you what bones belong to what animals that you find in owl pellets. I hope you save one for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll try to remember to do just that Lin. First an owl has to choose our owl house. I think that's the hard part, though last night at dusk I heard an owl calling. I'm hoping it's in need of a home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is very cool and it is true, if you build it they will come, you just need to be patient :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder if there's more you can do to encourage them...
    We just had swallows move into a bird house we put up for decoration...but the swallows are here every year already.

    We're putting up a bat house to tempt bats (who will hopefully eat all those dang mosquitoes...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. They say to just wait. Someone nearby said it took a year before a nesting pair (whoo hee) decided to move in. They had an owl cam in theirs and published it on the internet. We decided against an owl cam.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea of an owl house. How wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments - please?