Saturday, May 21, 2011

Roy's Greenhouse - the real work begins

The inventory has been completed, the instructions read, though not deeply understood.  Now the work of preparing a spot for the greenhouse begins.  Roy has measured out a 12 x 10 ft. square, using the precision he learned as a surveyor.  Now he has removed the weeds and begun to dig a hole for a base.
Roy measured the space, removed the weeds and now is digging a hole for the foundation.
He will line the hole with gopher wire, hoping to thwart those nasty little diggers.  Then he will fill the hole with a mixture of sand and gravel so the greenhouse will have a firm foundation.

The dirt he removes will be replaced with other materials.  I have some ideas about where I'd like the dirt.
At the moment, the dirt lies on top of a massive tarp.  (Not to protect the grass.  It's all weeds at this spot.)  I have some ideas where I want to put that dirt.  I also suspect I'll have to put it there myself.  I wonder if he'll allow me to use his new red wheelbarrow for my project.

If you missed the other post, you can find it in the archives for May 2011.

4 comments:

  1. You'll love the final result. Be sure to thank your hubby, as this is hard work indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see the final result! And I can't wait to see how YOU have moved the dirt. :P That's always the way, isn't it? Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eggshells are to keep snails and slugs off your tender shoots. In California I didn't have this problem at all. Good luck with your efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lin: I think my hubbie will help me move the dirt elsewhere. If he doesn't put it where I want it, he'll have to put it somewhere.

    Rosaria: Thanks for the hint about eggshells. So far the only thing that keeps the snails at bay are birds and copper wire.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments - please?