Sunday, May 15, 2011

Roy's greenhouse

This is a dream come true for my hubbie.  It was his birthday wish and he took a long time selecting just the right one.  He's always wanted a greenhouse and now he has one.  Unfortunately, it's in pieces.

The greenhouse came in pieces.  Fortunately it fit in the pickup - barely.

The instruction book is huge, but well written.










There are so many rails and things to be fastened together.
The panels or windows are individually numbered and have a specific place to be.
This is how far he's gotten.  I'll take more photos when he begins to put it together.  Right now, he's got a lot of reading to do.

We have plenty of room for the greenhouse, but there are other factors to consider:  wind, sun, and the location of the door.  The door is supposed to open into the wind.  I have no idea why, but that's what the book says. He still needs to decide where it will be.

My hubbie hopes to grow vegetables all year round.  He says his crowning achievement will be a ripe tomato in the winter time.  Well, we live in southern California, so it's a reasonable goal.  The hard part is going to be building the greenhouse.

Right now we have peas and chard ready for eating and other things planted in the outside garden.  I know he can grow things, but I wonder if he can build the greenhouse.

Marilynne

7 comments:

  1. Oh, I would love a greenhouse, so I'm excited to see how his turns out! Be sure to take lots and lots of photos. I'm sure he's gonna LOVE that!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know how he feels then, Lin. He wanted it so badly, but he thought it was too expensive. Since our weather is mild, he doesn't have to have double-paned glass and such. This one was on sale at Harbor Freight Tools. I'd never heard of them before he found the greenhouse there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I lived in Southern Cal. I never saw any green houses, no real need I guess. Well, it doesn't hurt to have one and keep things moving along in the winter. Tomatoes would be on my list, for sure, and peppers and eggplants and herbs. Yeah, you need to encourage him so this structure goes up and does its job.
    Thanks so much for the visit at sixtyfivewhatnow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rosaria, I live in San Diego and there are lots of "flower farms." These are flowers grown for sale to florists and such. We have lots of hidden nooks with long fat greenhouses. You could go by the never see them if you weren't looking for them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to see the finished green house!

    ReplyDelete
  6. He's out doing the inventory in the rain(he's sheltered). I think it's been a good gift.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Most excellent! I can't wait to enjoy the fruits (and veggies) of that labor! :O)
    Love, Cindy

    ReplyDelete

I love comments - please?